While the Methodist Movement started in England in the 1700's by Rev. John Wesley, it spread across England and then to the British Colonies. With the Revolutionary War victory, the Methodists in America were separeated from England, officially becoming the "Methodist Episcopal Church."
Thanks to preachers on horseback traveling West, little Methodist communities were formed across Ohio. One started here in Goshen Township in 1820. There was a log building at first, but we are not certain exactly where it sat. A framed building existed in the old cemetery from 1831 until 1866. A brick building was built here in 1866 which existed until it was destroyed by a tornado in May of 1956. The current building followed, with an addition in 1990.